2019 KTM 790 Adventure
Unlimited Adventure: If you're looking for a high-performance motorcycle that's lightweight and compact, one that specializes in adventure touring with the ability to explore further offroad when the tarmac ends, then look no further than the KTM 790 ADVENTURE. This sporty travel bike, with KTM's offroad genes, is built for endless travel enduro exploration and holds huge potential for offroad riding. Whether it's in the desert, on remote mountain trails or a transcontinental crossing, no other twin-cylinder travel enduro bike can match it.
- The new generation LC8c in-line twin-engine with 95 hp (70 kW) - combined with modern electronics and a 6-speed sequential gearbox - ticks all the boxes for a travel enduro motorcycle that can be ridden up to 400 km between fuel stops on the open road. Smooth long-distance travel is assured thanks to two balancer shafts, which keep vibration to a minimum, and, with long service intervals of 15, 000 km, you can ride for days on end without a worry.
- Smooth Power: KTM's new generation LC8c in-line twin-engine with 95 hp (70 kW) - combined with modern electronics and a 6-speed sequential gearbox - ticks all the boxes for a travel-enduro motorcycle that can be ridden up to 400 kms between fuel stops on the open road. Smooth long-distance travel is assured thanks to two balancer shafts, which keep vibration to a minimum. With long service intervals of 15,000 km, you can ride for days on end without a worry.
- The 8-valve DOHC cylinder head contains twin chain-driven camshafts and two spark plugs (one per cylinder). The camshafts are assembled, making them lighter than forged camshafts, while the cam profile has been developed to create an especially torquey engine. The steel valves are opened by DLC coated finger followers and a hydraulic chain tensioner tensions the camchain.
- When punching out those big long days in the saddle - on the tarmac linking up offroad sections - engine vibrations are kept to a minimum thanks to two balancer shafts, one in front of the crankshaft and the other in the cylinder head between the two camshafts.
- The nicasil-coated aluminum cylinders are an integral part of the sleeveless engine casing. The open deck cylinder construction allows for optimal cooling, improved production tolerances, and reduces the potential for cylinder warpage during production.
- The new KTM 790 ADVENTURE boasts easy airfilter accessibility for cleaning and servicing while on a ride. The airbox is located under the seat with the intake at the rear of the bike. This means that in addition to easy airfilter access, the seat and tank could be kept low and the bike could be made narrower where it counts: in the leg area. It has also allowed better positioning of the electronics to keep mass centralized.
- Cool Running: In the heat of the moment, it's important the LC8c engine keeps its cool to ensure its advanced power and performance are maintained. Thanks to the KTM 790 ADVENTURE's design and advanced cooling technology, exploring for hours on end in hot conditions is possible.
- Stainless Steel Exhaust: A redesigned stainless-steel exhaust system utilizes a mid-exhaust sound damper to centralize mass, which allows for a relatively small muffler, thereby maximizing the exhaust system's ground clearance. The sound - ready for adventure!
- The KTM 790 ADVENTURE is a versatile motorcycle that's ready to explore further in any conditions. It's well balanced and purposeful, with sporty handling on the tarmac, and inspires confidence inspiring offroad. The advanced tubular CroMo steel frame and lightweight steel trellis subframe are engineered to be compact, but durable, to handle a full load on longer rides. A steering damper aids stability, while the heavy-duty spoked 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels are specifically developed for offroad riding performance.
- Exceptional On And Offroad Performance: The overall geometry of the KTM 790 ADVENTURE was developed for light handling and to be sporty on the street, comfortable for longer distances and with impressive offroad capability. Strength was a big consideration in the design, so a tubular CroMo steel frame is used with the engine acting as a stressed member to reduce weight and overall size. All design and engineering innovations are focused on being compact and light.
- The signature die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is precisely manufactured and has been optimized for stiffness and stability while still offering excellent flex characteristics. By using a direct link for the rear shock, complexity and parts are reduced. The relatively long swingarm aids in traction, stability and suspension setup.
- When fully loaded for adventure, the bike underneath you need to be built to last. The steel trellis subframe was developed to be compact, lightweight and also strong enough to carry a passenger and luggage under the hard conditions that can be expected when adventure riding.
- Adventure Ready: The spoked 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels are specifically developed for KTM ADVENTURE riding - heavy-duty, lightweight and long-lasting. They are fitted with Avon Trailrider tires to maximize long-distance performance, both on the road and off it.
- To aid stability, a steering damper is fitted for those times when you're pushing hard on the tarmac or powering across rough surfaces en route to your destination.To aid stability, a steering damper is fitted for those times when you're pushing hard on the tarmac or powering across rough surfaces en route to your destination.
- Cutting-Edge WP Suspension: When setting off on an adventure ride, there are many variables that can influence the bike's handling performance. Rider weight, amount of extra luggage, fuel volume, whether there is a pillion passenger or not - these things all have to be considered before racing off. Luckily the KTM 790 ADVENTURE comes with high-quality WP suspension, which is perfectly set up to accommodate the many variables of travel-enduro exploration. With the additional benefit of adjustable rear pre-load, the way your bike rides and handles can be better adjusted to suit most typical riding scenarios, conditions and situations.
- The alloy lightweight triple clamps are strong and stiff for stability, with the right amount of flex to allow the rider to still feel what the chassis is doing. They also offer a good range of adjustability for handlebar positioning.
- High Performance Brakes: Stopping power on the KTM 790 ADVENTURE is boosted by twin 320 mm diameter brake discs with 4-piston, radially mounted, calipers up front, and a 260 mm diameter brake disc actuated by a double piston floating caliper in the rear. The front and rear brake combination provides an ideal mix of control and stopping power in all riding conditions.
- The APEX 43 mm open cartridge upside-down fork from WP is set up for adventure riding and two-up touring - smooth streets to rough roads. Split function technology separates the compression and rebound damping between the two fork legs, while suspension travel is a generous 200 mm for the times you really need it.
- Exceptional Fuel Range: The 20 liter low-slung fuel tank is central to this bike's innovative design. With the main volume of the tank placed as low as possible, it lowers the center of gravity for improved handling. It also keeps the bike narrow in the knee area when standing up, for control when riding offroad. The extra space allows a straighter and lower seat to be used, for freedom of movement and better accessibility. To top it all off, there's an exceptional fuel range of approximately 450 km on the open road - a big advantage on longer adventure tours
- The KTM 790 ADVENTURE's ergonomics allow it to perform as brilliantly offroad as is does on. A low-slung fuel tank lowers the centre of gravity, improves handling, and allows the rider to move around more freely. At high speeds on the open road, the 790 ADVENTURE benefits from a higher screen, which offers maximum wind protection, while the twin-seat design ensures both rider and passenger are comfortable on longer trips.
- Alloy Tapered Handlebar: An aluminum-tapered handlebar allows maximum control while offering a comfortable riding position. The handlebar can be mounted in six different positions, which results in 30 mm of adjustment range allowing for a personal fit.
- Superior Footpegs: Whether it's all-day riding while standing or sitting, the KTM 790 ADVENTURE's strong footpegs have been developed for superior ergonomics and to accommodate street or off-road boots in a wide range of conditions. The footrests have rubber inserts, which can be removed.
- All-Day Comfort: The height adjustable two-part seat offers comfort for long rides. The rider seat is narrow in the front to provide easy access to the ground. Relatively firm seat foam ensures that the rider stays comfortable even when riding all day long, and the seat cover provides a mix between grip and ease of movement.
- Maximum Wind Protection: The KTM 790 ADVENTURE has a high windshield for maximum wind protection on long rides when chewing up kilometers at high speeds on the open road. The lower 790 ADVENTURE R windshield can be used on the 790 ADVENTURE.
- The bodywork on the KTM 790 ADVENTURE has been kept to a minimum. The robust plastics have been manufactured in color to retain their appearance in case of scratching. The tank spoilers and rear side panels are slightly wider than the seat for improved control and to reduce wear and tear on the seat. The LED headlight mask is reduced, taking design cues from KTM's rally bikes to create a slim, lightweight front end. The 790 ADVENTURE is available in two color options: orange and white.
- State-Of-The-Art TFT Display: Reading valuable information like trip meter, fuel range, ABS settings and ride modes on the fly is made easier with the 5-inch, full-color, state-of-the-art TFT display. The rider can select which information to see and where they would like to have it displayed on the screen. The display's configuration is variable and automatically adapts to variations in environmental light. The rev counter blinks to indicate when to shift.
- LED lights are used on the KTM 790 ADVENTURE as the main headlight, taillight and indicators. LED lights offer great illumination and visibility. They are compact, so they help reduce the overall volume of the motorcycle.
- Ride modes allow the rider to adapt the behavior and feel of the engine, while KTM's lean angle sensitive traction control system (MTC - Motorcycle Traction Control), reduces wheel spin based on the chosen mode or riding situation. KTM's cornering ABS system allows riders to use the full power of their brakes while taking the lean angle of the motorcycle into account. It has an advanced offroad mode that can also be turned off.
- The MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) is a lean-angle sensitive traction control system that reacts immediately the instant rear wheel rotation speed becomes disproportionate to the riding situation. In mere milliseconds, MTC reduces engine output with an extremely smooth, barely perceptible intervention at the throttle valves until slippage is reduced to optimum proportions for the selected ride mode and current angle of lean. For particularly ambitious riders, the traction control can also be switched off.
- ‘Offroad ride mode' has a smooth throttle response and allows a fair amount of slip before it intervenes. On low grip surfaces, a certain amount of wheel slip is needed to ensure forward motion. Secondly, it allows riders to break traction so they can steer with the rear wheel. Anti-wheelie is not used in this mode, so riders can easily lift the front wheel over obstacles. ‘Offroad ride mode' is not lean angle sensitive, so traction control does not intervene when a rider uses a berm to turn.
- KTM's cornering ABS system allows riders to always use the full power of their brakes while the system adjusts brake pressure to match the lean angle of the motorcycle, for safer and more predictable braking across a wider range of conditions and scenarios. It can be turned off for offroad conditions.
- Tune In With KTM My Ride: With the KTM MY RIDE system, a smartphone can be connected to the bike, which gives the rider the option of receiving or making phone calls, listening to music, and using the optional app for navigation.
- On an adventure ride, storage space is essential. Tools, camping gear, food - KTM offers a solution for all circumstances. You can choose from a lightweight, lockable aluminum touring case set (two sizes), or waterproof soft sidebags when low weight and flexibility are needed. There's also a quick-lock tank bag for daily essentials and waterproof universal luggage for additional cargo capacity.
- Design: 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, parallel twin
- Displacement: 799 cm³
- Bore: 88 mm
- Power in KW: 70 kW
- Stroke: 65.7 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Lubrication: Forced oil lubrication with 2 oil pumps
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Cooling: Liquid cooled
- Clutch: PASC™ antihopping clutch, mechanically operated
- EMS: Bosch EMS with RBW
- Frame design: Chromium-Molybdenum-Steel frame using the engine as stressed element, powder coated
- Front suspension: WP upside-down Ø 43 mm
- Rear suspension: WP monoshock
- Front brake disc diameter: 320 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- ABS: Bosch 9.1 MP (incl. Cornering-ABS and offroad mode, disengageable)
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 64.1 °
- Engine Type
- 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, parallel twin
- 799 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 88 mm x 65.7 mm
- Fuel System
- Bosch EMS with RBW
- Final Drive
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Front Suspension
- WP upside-down Ø 43 mm
- Rear Suspension
- WP monoshock